Kids Get Sick From Accidentally Consuming Pot Edibles

New study finds rise in young children eating treats laced with marijuana
BaKed Lollipops with 90mg each of THC, the chemical component in cannabis responsible for making users high, are for sale at the Higher Path medical marijuana dispensary in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles, California, December 27, 2017. - At the stroke of midnight on January 1, pot lovers in California may raise a joint, instead of a glass of champagne. America's wealthiest state is legalizing the growth, sale and consumption of recreational marijuana, opening the door to the world's biggest market. (Photo by Robyn Beck / AFP)        (Photo credit should read ROBYN BECK/AFP via Getty Images)

At a glance

  • As pot becomes legal in more places across the United States, a new study found that over the past five years, the number of kids who accidentally ate marijuana-laced treats and candies rose dramatically.
  • Between 2017 and 2021, the nation’s poison control center received reports of more than 7,000 confirmed cases of kids under the age of 6 consuming marijuana edibles, rising from about 200 to more than 3,000 per year.
  • About 25 percent of the children ended up in the hospital, some seriously ill.

Top News Stories

You May Like: